Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions for using this site are those we inherit from the RNLI’s national website. Those terms can be viewed here.
Privacy and security
The RNLI takes the privacy of its members and supporters very seriously and is committed to protecting your privacy online.
In this Policy references to the RNLI or to ‘we’ or ‘us’ are to the RNLI a charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736) and with charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland and to the RNLI’s trading companies, RNLI (Sales) Ltd (company number 2202240) and RNLI (Enterprises) Ltd (company number 1784500), all of West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HZ. A link to this Policy is available from all websites which it applies to.
This Policy explains the privacy and the data protection practices in connection with:
- all websites operated by the RNLI and the RNLI’s social media pages
- the RNLI’s use of emails and text messaging which we send to our supporters and customers
- ie how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have
Collecting personal information is necessary if we are to satisfy the expectations and requirements of our users and supporters and to promote our aims, eg by communicating with you and providing an interactive service.
- session cookies – These are temporary cookies and only stored in your computer’s memory for the time that you are browsing our site. For example, they are used to track what you do on our online shop and items you add to your shopping basket. They are deleted as soon as you end your session.
- permanent or stored cookies – These are the cookies that remain on your computer even after you have finished your session.
- flash cookies – If you have Adobe Flash Player on your computer and you view video clips on our sites, additional small files may be stored on your computer to help us understand the use of our media files. Visit Adobe’s website to control the use of flash cookies.
- recognise you when you return to our website so as to avoid lengthy registration on each occasion.
- identify who you are and to access your account information.
- speed up your searches
- estimate our audience size and patterns
- ensure that you are not asked to register twice
- control how often visitors see similar ads
- store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests and to improve and update our websites.
- track the progress and number of entries in some of our promotions and contests.